Attorney Randy V. Thompson
Randy V. Thompson
Randy Thompson was born on August 27, 1951 and is a summa cum laude graduate of the University of Minnesota in 1975 and a magna cum laude graduate of William Mitchell College of law in 1980.
Mr. Thompson has litigated cases throughout the United States. He is admitted to practice and has argued before the United States Supreme Court and the Minnesota Supreme Court. Mr. Thompson is also admitted to practice before the Fourth, Seventh, and Eighth Federal Circuit Courts of Appeal, the Federal District Courts of Minnesota and the Eastern District of Michigan, and various Tribal Courts. Mr. Thompson has arbitrated numerous commercial and no-fault insurance cases. He has been a frequent lecturer at continuing Legal Education Seminars.
Mr. Thompson has extensive civil litigation experience, and has both tried and settled multi-million dollar cases. He has practiced extensively in the areas of commercial litigation and Indian law. He represents the Minnesota Service Station Association, and is a nationally recognized expert in the area of petroleum litigation. His work for service station dealers has included both litigation against major oil companies as well as representation in the sale of business and real estate interests, petroleum contamination and real estate condemnation.
Mr. Thompson has also practiced extensively in the franchise area, representing groups of franchisees in litigation in various states. Additionally, he has practiced regularly in the area of employment law, representing both employers and employees in a wide variety of cases. His landmark case established the public policy exception to employment at will in the State of Minnesota.
In the area of Indian law, Mr. Thompson has represented the rights and interests of both Indians and non-Indians in disputes with tribal governments, and has represented tribal officials in internal tribal disputes.
- William Mitchell College of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- B.A. - 1975
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- Business & Commercial Law
- Business Organizations
- Constitutional Law
- Eminent Domain
- Employment Law -- Employee
- Employment Law -- Employer
- Litigation & Appeals
- Native Peoples Law
- Real Estate Law
- American Bar Association, Member, 1980 to Present
- Minnesota Bar Association, Member, 1980 to Present
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1987 to Present
- College Court of Honor, 1980