Attorney Robert J. Leighton
Robert J. Leighton
Rob Leighton is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Minnesota and a 1991 law school graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, where he served as Moot Court Director. Since graduation from law school he has been admitted to practice in State and Federal Courts in Minnesota. He is a member of the Minnesota and Ramsey County Bar Associations, and also served as past President of the Mower County Bar Association while practicing law in southern Minnesota. He is also an active member of the Minnesota Association for Justice and serves on its Board of Governors.
Mr. Leighton has extensive experience in the area of civil litigation, and has tried and settled cases involving disability claims, personal injury, wrongful death, product liability, workers compensation and business disputes. In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Leighton also represents trade and professional associations before governmental and regulatory bodies.
Mr. Leighton served four terms in the Minnesota House of Representatives, serving as both Assistant Majority Leader and Assistant Minority Leader. He was also appointed a member of the Workers Compensation Advisory Council, which advises the Commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry on necessary changes to Minnesota’s workers compensation laws.
Mr. Leighton was raised in Austin, Minnesota and presently lives in Eagan. His volunteer activities include youth sports and serving as a member of non-profit community organizations.
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- J.D. - 1991
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.A. - 1988
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: Economics
- Minnesota, 1991
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Disability Claims
- ERISA STD & LTD Claims
- Insurance Contract Disputes
- Litigation & Appeals
- Motor Vehicle Accidents — Plaintiff
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- State, Local & Municipal Law
- Workers’ Compensation Law
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 1993 to Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, 1991 to Present
- Ramsey County Bar Association, 2003 to 2016
- Minnesota Governmental Relations Council, 2004 to Present
- Minnesota House of Representatives, 1995 to 2003
- Hennepin County Bar Association, 2017 to Present
- MNAJ’s “Excellence Award”
- 8.2 (Excellent) AVVO rating