Attorney Mark M. Nolan
Mark Nolan was born on January 12, 1944, and is an honors graduate of Colgate University and a 1969 graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School. He is certified as a specialist in civil trial matters by national and state boards, and carries the highest rating. He has served on the board of directors of the Minnesota Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers, has chaired the State Legal-Medical Committee, and the Ramsey County Civil Litigation Section. He has served as chair of Ramsey County and the Supreme Court’s ad hoc Committee on Expedited Litigation. He has been continuously selected as one of Minnesota’s Superlawyers since 1998, and has been voted by his peers as one of the “Top 100” lawyers in Minnesota; he has also been voted by his peers as one of the “Top 40” personal injury lawyers in Minnesota, “Top 40” business litigators and “Top 40” ADR lawyers of America.
Mr. Nolan has represented plaintiffs in approximately 60% of his cases and defendants 40%. He has litigated and resolved hundreds of cases including multi-million dollar matters involving personal injuries, construction claims, commercial claims, and employment matters including ERISA disputes, for both Fortune 500 companies and individuals. He also has extensive experience in claims regarding close corporations valuation, inheritance disputes, property disputes, environmental claims, construction disputes and contract claims. His practice has brought him to the Federal and State courts of several states. He has argued before the United States Supreme Court.
He was selected as a member of the American Arbitration Association Commercial panel in 1975, and has served as a neutral or sole arbitrator in over 150 cases. He has mediated over 350 cases. He has written articles on arbitration and trial techniques for legal publications, and has presented seminars for the American Arbitration and other continuing legal education groups. He chaired the Ramsey County Parks Commission for several years and then chaired the “St. Paul Urban Tennis” board for several years. He has also served as a board member on other community boards.
Mr. Nolan was raised in Duluth, Minnesota and has lived in the St. Anthony Park area of St. Paul since 1970.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1969
- Colgate University, New York
- Minnesota, 1969
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1969
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- ERISA Short-term and Long-term Disability Claims
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice Before State & Federal Courts
- Business Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Insurance Contract Disputes
- Legal and Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Products Liability Litigation
- Minnesota Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers, State Legal-Medical Committee, Chair
- Ramsey County Civil Litigation Section
- Supreme Court’s ad hoc Committee, Expedited Business Litigation
- Superb AVVO rating
- “Top 100” lawyers in Minnesota
- “Top 40 Personal Injury lawyers in Minnesota”
- “Top 40 Business Litigators”
- “Top 40 ADR lawyers in Minnesota”
Certified Legal Specialties
- Civil trial matters, Minnesota State Bar Association and the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification